A literary analysis on Saint Joan
1. Life and Career of Bernard Shaw
2. Shaw : Character and Personality
3. Shaw's Career as a Dramatist
Shaw : Evolution of his Dramatic Genius
4. Contemporary English Drama : Main Trends
5. Some Important Plays of Shaw
6. Merits and Demerit? of Shaw as a Dramatist
The Art of Bernard Shaw
A General Estimate of Shaw as a Dramatist
7. Shaw's Views : Social, Cultural, Economic,
Religious, Moral, Political, etc.
Some Shavian Themes
8. Shaw as a Rationalist
Shaw as an Anti-Romantic
Shaw as an Inconoclast
9. Shaw's Theory of Life Force
Shaw's Philosophy : Creative Evolution
"All Ideals are Invariably Mocked by the Life Force"
10. Shaw : Drama of Ideas
Shaw as a Propagandist and Social Reformer
"In Shaw's Hands the Drama became not an Artistic
Creation for Aesthetic Enjoyment but a Medium of
Social Criticism." Discuss
11. Shaw : Art of Characterisation His Heroines
"In Shaw's Plays Ideas in Dramatised Form are More
Important than Character and Situation."
12. Shaw : Wit, Humour, Farce, etc.
Shaw as a Comic Genius : His Distinctive Contribution ...
13. Shaw as a Satirist
14. Shaw : Religion and God
15. Introduction to Saint Joan : Its Chief Features
Outline Story of the Play
A Critical Estimate of the Play
16. Historical Background to Saint Joan
17. Characters of the Play
(1) Joan, the Maid
(2) The Dauphin (Charles VII)
(3) The Earl of Warwick
(4) Cauchon, the Bishop of Beauvais
(5) Dunois, the Bastard of Orleans
(6) John De Stogumber
18. Scene-wise, Summary of the Play with Critical
19. Annotations and Explanations
20. Select Textual Problems
Saint Joan as a Tragedy : Its Peculiar Features.
Saint Joan is a high tragedy, not a mere
Melodrama or a Police court sensation.
"The Saint as a hero (heroine) in the play."
Joan as a tragic heroine.
Shaw's concept of God and religion as
developed in the play.
"Saint Joan is not only a great play, but a
religious play one whose theme is the
compelling force of religious idea." Duffin.
"Saint Joan as a Protestant pamphlet."
Saint Joan as a history play.
"There is not a breath of medieval atmosphere in
Shakespeare's histories. I have taken care to let the
medieval atmosphere blow through my play freely."
Saint Joan is a model for all historical plays.
The Trial of Joan : Its Beauty and Fairness.
"The trial scene as one of the most powerful
scenes in the play."
Did Joan get a fair trial ?
"Joan's murder is a judicial murder, a pious
murder, a murder that is not committed by
"Joan got a fairer trial from the Inquisition than
any prisoner of her type gets now-a-days in
any official secular court; and the decision
was strictly according to law."
The Epilogue : Its significance.
Do you think the Epilogue is superfluous?
"I am afraid the Epilogue must
"Saint Joan without the Epilogue would